All Things Avocado
I dedicated the month of August to dealing with the buckets of avocados on our trees. We gave several buckets away, some rotted before we could get to them, and we ate and ate and ate avocados. Here is how we consumed them, some for better, some for worse.
1. Baby food. Avocados are the ultimate baby food—simply peel and mash. I generally don't add salt to my baby food, but I found he ate it a lot better if I sprinkled salt and pepper on the avocado.
2. On the side. Avocados are delicious with beans and eggs, rice and beans, or any spicy food. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Guacamole. Guacamole is a favorite to eat with chips, on enchiladas, with nachos, spread on toast or bread instead of mayo, in tacos, you name it.
4. Corn, Avocado, and Black Bean Salad. This was a hit with everyone, even the baby. We ate it with corn chips.
5. Avocado bacon and eggs. We loved the bacon and eggs, but not so much the baked avocados.
7. Chocolate Avocado Banana Bread. This was a definite step up from the muffins. The banana flavor hid any of the interesting aftertaste. We enjoyed this bread, but it wasn't as moist as regular banana bread. With some tweaking it could be a winner.
8. Avocado Caprese Skillet Chicken was a hit. I recently bought a basil plant, so I was happy to find a new way to use that as well. I did not assemble it for my children—they preferred to eat everything on the side.
11. Creamy Avocado Lime Salad Dressing. Quick to make, delicious, and healthy.
12. Avocado Ranch Dip. So easy, so quick, and so delicious to serve with sliced veggies or crackers.
13. Processed for later. We will extend avocado season a little by enjoying some of the fruit we put away in the freezer. Some of the avocados I sliced and froze as is. I will use those for salad dressing, smoothies, anything baked, or guacamole. Avocado that has been frozen gets a mushy texture, so they will need to be blended. Some of the avocado I blended and added lime, salt, and pepper. It's guacamole ready to go.
How do you enjoy avocados?